Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Recipe testing - Part 3

After sorting through recent photos I decided it was time for another recipe testing post. There are only a few months to go before Terry Hope Romero's new cookbook is due to be released now. Click here and also here to read my previous testing posts if you have missed them or feel like another look.


Out of the four dumpling recipes tested this is the only photo I have taken. I wasn't inspired to take any shots until receiving some gorgeous china from my mother in-law for my birthday late last year. These dumplings were stuffed with edamame and daikon which wasn't my favourite filling of the bunch but it was still tasty. 


This Morrocan bisteeya pie and carrot salad was a bold recipe test to conduct in my household as we aren't usually fans of sweet and savoury mixes. It wasn't very popular due to the sweetness as well as too many nuts for the man's liking which was a shame given the time it took to prepare. 


I was excited to see a Ful Medames recipe pop up for testing and this is definitely the best version I have made at home now. The toppings were so full of flavour which really made it shine!


Paella is something I have made a few times before and my previous attempts were blown away by Terry's recipe which included some tempeh (I'm slowly coming around to tempeh). I tracked down some calasparra rice to use in this rather than arborio which was really nice.


This Tom Yum soup was so delicious and had a wonderful balance of sweet, sour, salty and spicy flavours. It was Tom Yum indeed! 


We loved this Caribbean jerk tofu but weren't as keen about the rice and beans on the side. This was a pretty easy meal to whip up on a weeknight and it's made me keen to experiment with more Caribbean recipes.


It's been a really long time since I have gone to the effort of making a Thai curry paste at home. I'll have to get into the habit on a more regular basis as the fresh flavours in this green curry were so much nicer than the results of a jarred/tinned curry paste. 

6 comments:

  1. Your pictures are beautiful Mel. I really like those new dishes and the look of the Tom Yum soup and the curry in the last photo. I'm quite keen to see Terry's cookbook after these sneak peeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tom Yum and Thai curry were really good. I think there will be something for everyone in this cookbook.

      Delete
  2. interesting that it is the asian dishes that really attract me - I don't usually think of Terry Hope Romero as doing much asian - the dumpling picture is beautiful - wish I could make mine look so good - and I would love a good veg tom yum soup recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Asian dishes have all been fantastic, Terry seems to be very versatile with different cuisines from around the world.

      Delete
  3. Mmm, that green curry looks great! As do the dumplings--been forever since I made any at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green curry was one of my favourites from testing but I seem to have quite a few favourites as there have been so many great recipes.

      Delete