Saturday, April 2, 2011

Calzones


On Friday I had a huge urge to make calzones which was probably due to reading Danni's post earlier this week. I knew exactly what I wanted to put inside them and settled upon one of the few pizza base recipes I rotate between. Tofu bacon was to be an ingredient and the recipe I normally use was nowhere to be found, so I had a look and found this one which had a few extra ingredients like ketchup, sugar and nutritional yeast.

The pizza base is a recipe my mother-in-law passed on to me which is a Stefano De Pieri one. It makes 2 large pizzas, or 3-4 decent sized calzones. The beauty of the recipe is that you don't have to allow 1 hour for the dough to double in size, it only requires 10 minutes of resting after the initial knead. When used as a pizza base it turns out quite thin and crispy.

The calzones were filled with a layer of tomato pizza sauce (store bought) mixed with basil pesto and a combination of onion, chopped tofu bacon, spinach, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and cheezly. The tofu bacon was perfect in the calzones, it gave them a wonderful smoky flavour and everyone thoroughly enjoyed them which can be a rarity. I will definitely be making them this way again!

Pizza dough (Stefano de Pieri recipe)

500g flour (I use pizza flour)
20g salt
10g dried yeast
350ml lukewarm water
2 tablespoons olive oil (I forgot to add it this time!)

Mix all ingredients for the dough in a bowl and knead for 7 to 10 minutes. Rest for 10 minutes then roll out to the desired size.

No comments:

Post a Comment