Sunday, October 2, 2011

Vegan MoFo - B is for "Butter Chicken"


Butter chicken was a favourite meal of ours back when we were omnis. Once I discovered that I could nail this dish and provide us with such a close vegan rendition of what we used to adore so much, it was a huge comfort. Before I knew of the existence of asian mock meats I tried to make this curry with vegetables and tofu which worked well enough but did not live up to the taste and texture of a butter chicken made with mock meat. We don't eat mock meat very often but when we do the temptation is always there to whip up another batch of this delicious "butter chicken".

The original recipe was given to my husband by a work colleague as stated in my previous post where you can find the recipe. I made it a little differently last night due to being out of Tofutti cream cheese and only used about 300g of mock meat and added a touch more soy milk and dairy-free margarine than usual. Some other vegetable side dishes I usually serve with this meal are gajar matar (carrots and peas) or punjabi cabbage. Last night was an exception as we ate this simply with rice and pappadums. It wasn't the healthiest of meals but it was extremely tasty!


Click here to see my A - Z of Vegan MoFo posts. 

6 comments:

  1. Your theme is a great idea! It's always so nice to veganize an old favorite. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so great. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good, I think I'll try it with mushrooms in place of the soy nuggets.

    I think you could reduce the amount of oil if you want to try making the chicharrones with mushrooms or use spray oil to cut it down even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dawn, it's such a great feeling when you can make a vegan meal taste just as good as the omni version.

    Thanks Jojo, hope you enjoy it if you give it a try!

    Thanks Mandee, I think I have made this curry with mushrooms in the past which did work well. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try some mushroom chicharrones soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-o this looks amazing. I am a massive Indian food fan and I used to love any creamy curries. Definitely gotta try this one

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nicola, if you are into creamy Indian curries then you should like this one. :D

    ReplyDelete