Sunday, July 8, 2012

Marinated roasted mushrooms


This recipe had been sitting in my bookmarks for a while with good reason, the young man isn't very fond of mushrooms. He tolerates slices of mushrooms in calzones, pizzas, tofu scrambles and stir frys, however, whole baked mushrooms are a complete turn off for him. I understand they aren't for everyone and remember a time in my childhood when the smell of frying mushrooms that were freshly picked from my Nanna's farm was enough to make me feel ill.

When the young man was out with his friends and there was a decent amount of portobellos in the fridge I knew exactly what we would be having for dinner. I had loved the sound of these marinated roasted mushrooms when I saw the recipe posted on where's the beef as the ingredients in the marinade are my type of flavours. I didn't have quite as many mushrooms so I made a half batch of the marinade, swapped the white wine for red wine as that was what I had on hand and also reduced the amount of oil a smidgen, otherwise I stayed true to the recipe.


I served these tasty juicy mushrooms over quinoa to give the meal a protein boost and because it's something we don't eat very often. This was a cinch to put together, after the mushies and a few extra vegetables went into the oven all I had to worry about was cooking the quinoa just prior to serving. The remaining juices in the baking tray were really full of flavour so I ladled extra over the quinoa after snapping a photo. This is an easy and tasty recipe that I'll happily make again when it's tea for two. 


Marinated roasted mushrooms (Adapted from where's the beef, originally from a recipe on fungi.com)

450g portobello mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup red wine
2 large cloves garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 200C.

Brush the mushrooms to ensure they are free of dirt and place into a baking dish with their gills facing up. Whisk the olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce and red wine together in a small bowl.

Pour the marinade over the mushrooms ensuring that the gills are completely covered, then scatter the garlic on top of the mushrooms. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge mushroom fan but enjoyed some stuffed ones last year and I am sure I would enjoy these as part of a spread but not so much as the star of the meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mushrooms don't often star around here either and I think the only time I've tried to do some baked ones they weren't nearly as nice as these were.

      Delete
  2. I have a similar mushroom habit - my other half is similarly not enamoured of mushroom, so I rarely buy or cook them any more. Love the soy-sesame mix you've got here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opposing tastes can be a nuisance sometimes! At least you can always order them when dining out if you are in the mood.

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious! I bet they'd also be wonderful on the grill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon they would be great grilled too, I'm really missing our outdoor BBQ ever since it broke down.

      Delete
  4. I don't much like mushrooms raw, but I love them cooked (although this is a change from childhood when I didn't much like them in any form). This sounds like a fantastic way to have them and the final picture is just wonderful - such a simple but delicious dinner. I wonder if I could use something other than wine (given I don't drink it, we don't really have it)? I'll have to play around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of raw mushrooms either and didn't like them in any form either when I was a child. When I'm out of wine I use some red or white wine vinegar diluted with water which works reasonably well as a substitute.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you liked these, even if they aren't to the young man's taste! I remember disliking mushrooms as a teenager so I can understand his aversion.

    The mushrooms really do pump out some juice, don't they? I think I even tried marinating some tofu in the leftovers or adding them to a gravy or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mushrooms were lovely, it was a great meal for the two of us and I like to keep these sorts of ones up my sleeve as the young man is out and about more often these days.

      Sounds like you put the leftover juices to some interesting uses Cindy, they both sound like great ideas although the gravy option sounds especially appealing.

      Delete