Thursday, October 13, 2011

Vegan MoFo - M is for Mexe Wedges


Mexe Wedges is the name I created for my favourite spiced wedges some time ago. I played around with the quantities in this recipe for the first few attempts and this is how I make them every time now. They have become one of our favourite ways to eat potatoes and when my son told me that he preferred them over deep fried hot chips I was delighted. They are very simple to prepare and dangerously addictive but are cooked with little oil so you can indulge to your heart's content.

They are coated with a combination of salt, smoked paprika, olive oil and a chilli seasoning mix based on this recipe prior to baking. I like to keep a container of the chilli seasoning prepared as I know exactly what is in it as opposed to a packet mix full of additives. The main change I make is to omit the flour from the recipe.


On this occasion we enjoyed our wedges with Chipotle Lentil burgers from Appetite for Reduction, Mushroom Chicharrones from Viva Vegan and some asparagus. The burgers did not live up to our expectations, they were nice but not as wonderful as I was expecting them to be. I actually preferred the leftover burgers straight out of the fridge the next day. Mandee from Cupcake Kitteh inspired me to give the tasty chicharrone marinade another try using mushrooms instead of tofu and they were a highlight of the meal. The man adored them so much that I am planning to follow Mandee's lead more often and use mushrooms in place of tofu.


This post brings me halfway through my alphabet of golden oldies and newbies. So far I have posted 7 new recipes and revisited 6 oldies. It feels like a good time to take a bit of a breather, go through some of my MoFo bookmarks and post about some of the exciting recipes I can't wait to try!


Click here to see my A - Z of Vegan MoFo posts.


Mexe Wedges

1 kg potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chilli seasoning
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
olive oil spray

Preheat oven to 200C.

Place the potato wedges in a large bowl and sprinkle the salt, smoked paprika and chilli seasoning over the top. Drizzle in the olive oil, then mix thoroughly with your hands until well combined.

Line a roasting tray with baking paper and spray lightly with olive oil. Spread the wedges in a single layer on the tray and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the bottoms have browned. Flip the wedges over and cook for a further 15 minutes or until nice and crunchy.

7 comments:

  1. The burgers are better, flavour and texture wise, the day after they've been cooked. I've also found doubling the chipotle and coriander has helped in giving the depth of flavour to them. I keep making them and fiddling with the recipe a little each time :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew these would have to have smoked paprika and I would love the sound of them - though that chilli seasoning looks complex.

    Look forward to hearing about your mofo faves - so much good stuff to discover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, yum... I love your Mexe wedges! I have been really, really, really wanting crispy potato wedges since MoFo started but they haven't worked out with my theme... yet. Your pictures remind me of how much I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredibly helpful. I am embarrassed to admit that I have never been able to get wedges quite right. I think I use too little oil and too little flavouring, and they just end up a little bland. I will adopt your approach :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's a shame, I know some people have said those burgers are one of their favourite recipes, I'm interested to try them out.

    And yay, I am so glad you enjoyed the mushroom version of chicharonnes, I've found mushrooms work well with all sorts of marinades and either baked or fried.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ZuckerBaby, I totally agree that they taste better the next day. I hope you post your final recipe when you have finished tweaking.

    Johanna, smoked paprika was a must in these spuds. The chilli seasoning is just a matter of mixing some spices together which only takes a few minutes and you can store the rest for the future. The wedges also taste great simply with smoked paprika and salt which I tried out last weekend.

    coldandsleepy, hope you can find a way to make some wedges soon. It does get challenging with a theme when you have cravings for something that won't fit. It's been happening to me too!

    Thanks Jes!

    Kari, the best secret is to use baking paper as you really don't need much oil and they won't stick to your tray either.

    Mandee, the burgers weren't that bad but I think we were happier with the other components of the meal that night. I'm a mushroom believer now thanks to you and will try some baked ones soon, Viva Vegan style!

    ReplyDelete