Monday, October 31, 2011

Vegan MoFo - Z is for Zaalouk


I wanted to revisit an old recipe for my last alphabet post as it's one I have been meaning to make for a while. Zaalouk is a slow roasted eggplant and tomato combination finished off with harissa, cumin, caraway, fresh coriander and mint that can be served chunky or pureed. I chose to puree it and serve it as a dip with pita bread but when left chunky it can also pass for a salad. It's not a quick dish to make although there is plenty of downtime throughout the process and the end result makes your efforts worthwhile.

The original recipe sourced from a Sunday paper makes a huge quantity and as I only had one eggplant around, I made a third of it this time which resulted in about a cup of dip. It was just as delicious as I had remembered it and one I will definitely make again.


This is my last Vegan MoFo post for the A - Z of golden oldies and newbies. I managed to meet my original goal of posting at least 2 new recipes per week, 12 for the month and ended up posting 15 new recipes, so I'm pretty happy about that. The full list of alphabet posts can be found on this page.

I have had a lot of fun with the theme and ventured into cooking with new ingredients like jackfruit, daikon and fava beans. My favorite new recipes to come out of the month were Hot Potato Salad, Imam Bayildi, Pinwheels, Rendang Nangka, Seitan Gyros, Vanilla Slice and Yassa Tofu.

I hope to get one more post in quickly to share some of my bookmarks from the second half of MoFo.

3 comments:

  1. zounds zupberb :-)

    fascinating combination of spices and looks great in the photo - so smooth

    will look forward to your bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo, you made it to Z!! I've been wanting to make zaalouk for awhile now, & yours is gorgeous! I better get on it for some delicious dipping action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zhank-zou Johanna! ;)

    Thanks Jes, I really like zaalouk as it's so different from baba ganoush and hummous.

    ReplyDelete